Windows Defender is an antivirus program from Microsoft. In principle, the same as other antiviruses such as AVG, Avast or Avira Free because the concept provides free services. What needs attention in a free antivirus is the limited features provided wherein general free antivirus does not provide extra protection such as firewalls, email security and antispam, except Windows Defender which if you buy original Windows then you have the right to get this app as Microsoft Security Essential and Windows firewall for free.
Learn More about Windows Defender
At the beginning of its appearance this app is actually a rebranding of Giant Antispyware and only has basic anti-spyware capabilities and does not yet have automatic update features, but this capability is increasingly enhanced by Microsoft so that it has automatic update capabilities and the ability to detect viruses today. Regarding the ability to protect against malware compared to other antiviruses you can see the RAP (Reactive And Proactive) Quadrant that is issued regularly by Virus Bulletin in (see attached picture) to find out the detection capabilities of reactive and proactive malware from all antivirus programs. Virus Bulletin is an independent non-profit organization that conducts antivirus and antispam testing and publishes regularly to be known by computer users.
Some interesting notes from Windows Defender are:
- Integration of non-Microsoft browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, and Opera is relatively low when compared to the integration of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer browser. Even in 2011, it was wrong to detect Google Chrome as malware.
- For increased security, most users will install more than one antivirus. For example, on Windows 10 users, install third-party antivirus software, even though it has been equipped with a built-in antivirus from its own OS which is this app. Or it could be installing more than 2 antiviruses with the assumption that the more antivirus installed, the stronger the security.
How to use Windows Defender
After having the antivirus application, this application can be directly used without the installation process. For steps to clean various types of adware, toolbars, hijackers or virus browsers, please see below:
- Open the application that you downloaded before
- Click ‘Scan’ or ‘Search’
- After completing the adware search or scan process, the toolbar and program interrupt will be displayed
- Check which you want to delete and remove the checkbox that you don’t want to delete.
- Click ‘Clean’
- The app will request to restart your computer
The intention is to install an antivirus for defense. So, for Windows 10 users, you’re lucky because there is a great app that is the vanguard in defense of virus attacks. Simply by using Windows Defender, your computer will be safer than using antivirus software from third parties. So, for you Windows 10 users, you must be grateful because Microsoft has inserted this app as an antivirus that has various features in securing your computer. You don’t have to install the third party app because it might damage your PC. We hope that this post will help you.
Note: For a PC running Windows 7 & Vista, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials, which basically has the same function as Windows Defender.